People have, for thousands of years, enjoyed the magnolia flower. They love it so much that they quarrel about how many species of magnolia there are. There are now more than 200 species, while new species and varieties are being developed. Each variety is absolutely dazzling with large perfumed petals. If the magnolia attracts so much attention, what is the meaning of this flower.
Meaning of the Magnolia
In the language of flowers, magnolia generally has the following meanings
- The meanings of the magnolia flower depend on its color and the culture of the person who offers or receives it. Magnolia flowers are most often offered by men to women to tell them “you are worthy of a magnificent magnolia”.
- A magnolia flower is often synonymous with Yin (on the female side of life).
- White magnolias symbolize purity and dignity.
National Flower of North Korea Significance
Once upon a time there was a French botanist named Pierre Magnolia (1638 to 1715). He helped scientists determine that plants belong to families and not just to species. Guess who magnolia flowers are named for.
The Chinese began calling magnolias by name long before the 1600 era. What the taxonomists and botanists call Magnolia officials since the 1600s, the Chinese called it “hoopoe “.
Symbolism of the Magnolia Flower
It seems that there are as many interpretations of the magnolia flower as there are people who appreciate it:
- In Victorian times, the sending of magnolia flowers was a discreet means of correspondence between lovers. The flower of magnolia was synonymous with dignity and nobility.
- In ancient China, the magnolia flower was considered a symbol of beauty and perfect feminine softness.
- In South America, white flowers of magnolia are used in wedding bouquets because they are synonymous with purity and nobility.
Interesting Facts About the Magnolia Flower
The magnolia flower might seem to be everywhere, but in reality it is not. Here are some interesting truths about this flower:
- Magnolia flower grows on trees, not on vines, bushes or stems.
- The trees of Magnolia can live up to a century.
- The Magnolia cannot pollinate without the help of beetles that are attracted by its bright flowers with a pleasant smell.
- In 1952, the southern magnolia (Magnolia grand flora) became the flower of the state of Mississippi.
- The fragrant magnolia flower, also known as “Diebold magnolia” (Magnolia sieboldii) is the national flower of North Korea.
Meaning of the Colors of the Magnolia Flower
Although magnolia flowers are known by their white petals, some species have pink, yellow or purple petals. In modern paganism and wicca, the colors of the flowers are used to represent certain goddesses.
- White represents the moon, any lunar goddess and spells cast on Monday
- The yellow represents the sun, any goddess or god of sun and the spells launched on Sunday
- Pink represents femininity, friends and love. The spells using pink flowers are the best spells launched on Friday, the day of Venus or Aphrodite, both goddesses of love.
- Purple is associated with royalty since the Roman period. This is the best color for government spells.
Magnolia flowers and bark have been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine. Nowadays, the flowers and the bark of magnolia can be found in tablets, in powders, in tisanes and dyes. Unfortunately, there have been few clinical studies of the medical virtues of the magnolia flower. Be very careful when using magnolia medicines for the first time. Pregnant women should not consume any complementary medicine containing magnolia. Pollen can be found in any herb or magnolia flower preparation, so anyone with a pollen allergy should avoid using herbal medicines containing magnolia.
Traditionally, it is thought that magnolia flowers help to fight against:
- Pulmonary problems
- Chest congestion
- Nasal discharge
- Menstrual cramps
- Muscle relaxation
- Digestive disorders such as flatulence and constipation
In Russia, herbalists often prepare the bark of the magnolia tree by soaking it in vodka. No wonder patients often feel better!
The Message of the Magnolia Flower is…
It is believed that the magnolia tree was one of the first flowering plants to grow on Earth. According to the San Francisco Botanical Garden Society, fossil remains show that magnolias lived on earth 100 million years ago. Basically, all the magnolias have had the same evolution. Ancient magnolias are still recognizable today as magnolias. Clearly, magnolias have found a great way to survive. Who knows? Perhaps they will survive long after the disappearance of the human being! We can therefore say that the magnolia flower, in constant evolution, is synonymous with longevity and grace.