We are going to share today is what national day ? In June 2007, the UN General Assembly decided to celebrate the International Day of Non-Violence on 2 October each year, the anniversary of the birth of Mahatma Gandhi .
International Day of Non-Violence October 2
She also wished to pay tribute to the work of her former Secretary General Kurt Waldheim , who died on 14 June of the same year.
The culture of non-violence and peace
In its reflection, the General Assembly of the United Nations proposed eight major axes of work which are:
- The strengthening of a culture of peace through education
- Promotion and sustainable economic and social development
- The promotion and respect of all human rights
- Equality between women and men
- Democratic participation
- The development of understanding, tolerance and solidarity
- Support for participatory communication and the free flow of information and knowledge
- The promotion of international peace and security
- Carl Fredrik Reuters ward’s “Non Violence” sculpture dates from 1985 and is visible in Malmö.