Indonesia, whose official name is the Republic of Indonesia, is located in South Asia. Surrounded by Papua, New Guinea, East Timor and Malaysia, it is the largest archipelago in the world. It includes more than 17,000 islands. Inhabited by 260 million people, it is the 4th most populous country on the planet. Zoom on the 10 interesting and surprising facts about Indonesia.
10 Interesting facts about Indonesia
- Indonesia is made up of about 17800 islands, but only half of these islands have names. The best known are undoubtedly Bali, Java and Sumatra. Must visit during a trip to Indonesia .
- 87% of the Indonesian population are Muslims. Which means that Indonesia has the largest Muslim population anywhere in the planet.
- Indonesia is certainly a Muslim country, but it has a very democratic attitude toward women. They do not have to cover their faces. Also, they can move freely, set up business and hold a high public position.
- Indonesia is home to the largest number of active volcanoes (400) in the world. This number is so high that it is even more than the number of active volcanoes united from any other country in the world.
- Home to countless unique animal and plant species, Indonesia can be considered as a land par excellence for the study of fauna and flora. FYI, 200 new species of animals were discovered in South Asia in 2010.
- Indonesia is home to a multitude of endemic species. One of them is the famous Javan Rhino. A single-horned rhinoceros that you will not find anywhere else in the world. There is also the Komodo dragon, the largest lizard in the world. Very dangerous, this dragon can eat a human being.
- At the top of the Indonesian volcano Kelimitu are three mysterious lakes. Indeed, they periodically change colors: from turquoise blue to green, red and black. These transformations would result from compositions of volcanic gases and minerals under water.
- Very popular with these 1001 natural and cultural wonders, Indonesia ranks 4th among the most visited countries on the planet.
- If the local cuisine is so exceptional, it’s because it’s a unique blend of culinary traditions from different countries. The best known is Soto soup. To try absolutely during your stay in Indonesia.
- Indonesia is home to one of the most famous Buddhist temples in the world: Borobudur. Built from 2 million blocks of stone, this ancient temple is one of Indonesia’s major tourist attractions.