Do you think you know interesting facts about South Africa? Or do you want to know more about this destination with interesting and precise facts? So let’s go !
Interesting facts about South Africa
- South Africa has the longest ” Wine Route ” in the world with Route 62 which is approximately 850 kilometers long, from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.
- South Africa is 5 times the size of Japan and 3 times the size of Texas (with a total of 1,221,037 km²).
- 20% of the world’s gold is mined in South Africa’s mines.
- The first heart transplant in South Africa took place in 1967 by Dr. Chris Barnard at Cape Town’s “Grood Schuur” Hospital (which can be visited !)
- The “Table Mountain” known as “Table Mountain” alone has a variety of more than 1,500 species of plants .
- South Africa holds the world record for the largest number of official languages (according to the Guinness Book of Records), or 11 official languages in total (just that): English, Afrikaans, isiZulu, isiXhosa , Sesotho, Setwsana, Sepedi , Xitsonga, SiSwati, IsiNdebele and Tshivenda.
- South Africa has the cheapest electricity in the world!
- South Africa is home to the smallest (fat) plants in the world (less than one centimeter) and also the largest ones with baobab .
- The largest diamond in the world was found in South Africa in 1905: the “Cullinan” diamond: it was a rough diamond with a weight of 3,106.75 carats.
- South Africa is the largest producer of Macadamia nuts in the world.
- Go to finish this article, I take you aboard a drone … go ahead, it does not make you dizzy. This video (made by Robin Icare) is just amazing and shows you in 3:30 the beauties of South Africa from the sky!