When we decided to travel to the Philippines and started looking for information, we soon realized how little we knew about this country .There are our 10 Interesting facts about Philippines which we got to know from our visit to this nation.
Interesting facts about Philippines
- This Asian country is about an archipelago of 7107 islands.
- The Philippines was a Spanish colony from 1521 to 1898, more than three centuries. Then it passed into the hands of the United States. On July 4, 1946, the Philippines achieved its independence.
- The name “Philippines” derives from the name of King Philip II.
- Due to a colonial decree (the Edict of Clavería) family names of Spanish origin were systematically distributed to all Filipinos. Today there is no trace of surnames in the original languages of the Philippines. The first names also remain in Spanish in their majority, although they are also styled in English, or a strange mixture (for example: John-Rey).
- It has an estimated population of about 90 million people, of whom more than 20 million live in the metropolitan area of Manila. The city of Manila is inhabited by more than 11 million people, one of the most populated urban agglomerations in the world.
- More than 11 million Filipinos live outside the country, just like all the inhabitants of Manila together!
- They say that The Philippines is the largest provider of nurses in the world.
- It is one of the ten countries with the greatest biological diversity, with one of the highest biodiversity indexes per unit area.
- The Philippines is one of the two Asian countries where Catholics are the majority (the other country is East Timor).
- It was a territory very punished during the Second World War: More than one million people died.