Today we will help you out to know about some awesome and interesting facts about Cambodia, you will be amazed after reading these facts about Cambodia.
Interesting facts about Cambodia
- The Cambodian flag is the only national flag in the world to represent a building: the Angkor Wat temple.
- The country has changed its name many times, in fact, each time a new government is established: it was called the Khmer Republic during its republican years, the Democratic Kampuchea under the Khmer Rouge regime, the Republic Popular Kampuchea under the power of a left-wing group named the National Union Front for the Salvation of Kampuchea. Now, the country is officially called the Kingdom
- During the four years ruled by the Khmer Rouge, one-fifth of Cambodia’s population was executed. Most of them were educated people, priests and monks.
- The Khmer Rouge leader, Pol Pot, wanted all educated Cambodians to be executed so that no one would ever oppose his power.
- Currently, half of Cambodia’s population is under 15 years old.
- Birthdays in Cambodia are not celebrated. In fact, seniors may not even know their own date of birth.
- At present, Cambodia’s largest source of income comes from the textile industry. Tourism is the second source of income for the kingdom.
- Cambodia has one of the highest rates of deforestation in the world. Between the years 1990 and 2005, the country lost 25 000 km2 of forest.
- In Cambodia, the head is considered the most important part of the body. It is not permissible to touch anyone’s head, even in the friendliest way.
- It is considered disrespectful to point someone or something with your feet or shoes, so feet must be tucked into sitting position.